This is a great fish pate that’s high in protein, low in carbs and gives you that desirable boost in Omega 3. Spread it on your toast for breakfast, use it as a healthy sandwich filling or in a seaweed ‘maki’ roll. You could even serve it as a starter at a supper party dressed up with a few other nice fishy things, like smoked salmon for instance.
It’s also a very budget friendly recipe if you are watching your pennies, and takes just a couple of minutes to make. You could use rocket (aragula) instead of watercress for a similar peppery flavour.
For followers of Trim Healthy Mama, it’s a healthy S.
- 125g tin of mackerel in water (you could also use mackerel in tomato sauce to add another flavour dimension to this spread)
- 3-4 heaped tbsp cream cheese
- Handful of fresh watercress (or rocket/aragula)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Ground black pepper and sea or rock salt to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender (or use a hand blender) and blitz for a minute until creamy smooth. Please note that this process will make the mixture go very runny, so transfer to a container or pot and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving. The mixture should thicken up again to become a pate consistency.
- Alternatively you could use the runny mixture straight form the blender and use as a high protein, flavoursome salad dressing. Whichever way you eat it, enjoy!